Tuesday, May 19, 2009

Chapter 7...Is Anyone Out There???

So, like I said, chapter 6 is my favorite chapter. But as I continue to truly read Romans, I find that I like it all. Chapter 7 is very interesting in its comparison of the old law dying and giving way to the new law to a wife losing her husband and being free to marry another. Some other things I find interesting are in v. 7, it says that "I (Paul) would not have known sin except through the law". So, giving rules and regulations made him see that things he was doing were wrong. And it was necessary to know he was sinning to realize that he needed Christ and His salvation. So the old law is important in New Testament Christianity. And then there are verses 14 through the end of the chapter. Wow. I feel the same way. I want to do good, but for many reasons, some that I understand and others that I don't, it just doesn't always happen. And that's frustrating. But it is comforting to know that Paul had the same struggle between his spiritual self and his carnal self.

So we've been slacking, so lets pick this back up!!

3 comments:

Micah and Jennifer said...

I say so alot.

Karl McD. said...

So it sounds kinda gnostic... I need to sin to know forgiveness.

I have no tollerance for this logic and I can imagine Paul was bald trying to explain his point. He and John have a field day with their readers that fail to make this interpretation.

As I consider this, and then see the fine line with the flesh and Spirit where, to your point Jorge, I want to do the right thing, but fail.

Totally different motives makes a fine line difference.

Micah and Jennifer said...

I don't think he's saying you have to sin to know forgiveness, but that to know you are sinning, someone or something (the law) has to point out to you that what you are doing is sinful.