Monday, April 27, 2009

The Rest of Chapter 6...Finally

Okay, so I can make lots of excuses why it has taken me so long to do this, but the fact is...I'm lazy. So, here we go...

15: "What then? Shall we sin because we are not under law but under grace? Certainly not!" We are no longer bound to the old Mosaical law, something I'm sure that these people were having a hard time understanding. I think it's much easier for us to understand, and I think that sometimes we let things get out of control. We figure God's grace has us covered, so we tend to let ourselves fall into sin and just ask forgiveness later. Paul tells us we can't do that, just because we are under grace doesn't mean we should go on sinning, which leads us into the following verses.

16-20: If we sin, we are slaves to sin because that is what we are obeying, and sin leads to death (Romans 6:23). If we are to be saved and slaves to righteousness, we have to be obedient to God, to obey Him from the heart "the doctrine which you were delivered" my interpretation: The Gospel.

21-23: We are set free from sin by our obedience to the Gospel. We must be baptized (that's what the first part of Romans 6 says). We are slaves of God and must present ourselves as such. You do this through obedience, and the fruits of your actions should demonstrate who you are obedient to, either God, or sin. Sin leads to death, God leads to eternal life. I choose God.

Romans 6 is one of my favorite because I remember when I was first studying the Bible, this was the chapter that I read that made me understand what I needed to do to be saved.

2 comments:

Jorge said...

I sure do love the way you can summarize. It must be obvious to everybody that my method of summarization is to retell as much as possible. This chapter is just so straightforward. Well, maybe not to everybody because when I presented this to a coworker he mentioned that he believed this spoke about "spiritual baptism" not watery immersion. He understood that John actually dunked people in the river but did not think it meant the same here. I totally disagree. Thoughts?

Micah and Jennifer said...

You can make the Bible say what you are looking for. God wants us to find the true meaning. It's hard to discount the fact that we have to be baptized to make it into heaven. The last part of the chapter,6:23 "For the wages of sin is death, but the free gift of God is eternal life in Christ Jesus our Lord" We have the free gift of eternal life IF we take it in Jesus Christ. How do we take it?? To be baptized in Jesus Christ to wash away sins Acts 22:16. How do you talk to people that do not believe this way?
In Bible class we talked about prospects of people that we need to go and talk about God. Jennifer and I went to the State Home last night here in Corsicana and were very moved with the kids that we came in contact with. They have NO home life and need some one to talk to. They are prospects for us to let them know that there is some one who cares about them and the God is there. It is the hardest thing for me to talk to some one about God. Why is that?

Micah