Friday, April 3, 2009

Romans 5...

Well, Jorge pretty much hit it all. But I do have a few things to add. I think that in verse 12 talking about sin and death, it does mean spiritual death as well as physical death. Because wasn't Adam separated from God, kicked out of the Garden?

I know this is a controversial issue, but I would like to know your thoughts. Verse 5...because the love of God has been poured out within our hearts through the Holy Spirit who was given to us. Who is the us? Does this apply to us today, or just the us (apostles, maybe???) that Paul is speaking of?

One of my favorite parts of this chapter is verse 6: For while we were still helpless, at the right time Christ died for the ungodly. See also Galatians 4:4 - a verse I remember from studying with Max Moore. I think it is so cool that all this happened at the right time. We think about the past and the future, and just to know that God knows what's going on and has a plan and that we are part of it is awesome.

On to Chapter 6...my favorite!

2 comments:

Jorge said...

I agree with what you think about verse 12. Spiritual & physical death definitely came from Adam's sin.

I agree with you on verse 6. Verse 6 is pretty powerful.

On verse 5, I'm totally not on the side of the people that think "normal" Christians don't have the indwelling of the HS. I am on the side of those people that do believe in the indwelling of the HS but do not believe it is in the same nature as of the Apostles. There was a reason for the Apostles being "gifted" See Mark 16:17-20, Romans 1:11-13, Eph 4:11-12, Acts 1:1-8. I believe that verse 5 includes "us" because that whole section of passage seems to apply to us.

What do you think?

Jorge said...

Hey, you attack chapter 6 first. I'll feed off you. This is your favorite and so you will have great stuff for us.